Friday, 8 October 2010

Leroy Skalstad: Homelessness

When I think of the cost of living one idea that comes into my mind is the idea of homelessness. There are many ways to focus on this idea, whether for journalistic or artistic purposes, or to use art to promote social change.  A particular photographer that caught my eye is Leroy Skalstad. The muted tones in the photos add a poignance to the images. The photos are taken from the viewpoint of an outsider looking in, the audience is intruding on their life. We particularly see this in 'Heaven is my Home', in which we are observing a homeless man sleeping next to his bible. The expressions on the faces of the subjects being photographed along with the colours of the photographs give negative connotations, and when I think of the 'cost of living', I think of it as a negative subject.

'Heaven is my Home' 

'Homeless Mike'

 'The Bus Shelter'



1 comment:

  1. very good photography of a difficult subject- I hope it is a good teaching tool for us

    ReplyDelete